First we acted out what we do when we feel a certain way, like crying when we are sad. Then we talked about what we can do to get the mad feelings out of us. Hailey stomps around and throws her hands around if they are empty. She acts like she's going to hit someone but half the time she doesn't.
Then we read "Where the Wild Things Are" by M. Sendak. The only copy of this at the library had a tape to it. So, they got to hear the story being read by someone different. I like having books with tapes because it's hard to be talking constantly.
After that, I did puppet shows to demonstrate good and bad ways to handle our feelings. The main point of the show was that we should talk about and through our feelings. This is very difficult for Hailey since she just doesn't understand yet what her feelings are. We have a little girl in nursery that when she doesn't get her way, yells "I'm MAD!" and puts herself in timeout. When I first saw this, I thought it was the strangest thing ever but I realize that being able to express this is very mature for her age. I don't think even most adults can do that.
Then we sang a song about being honest and true.
Finally, after all this talking, Hailey and Luc made faces. I had brads to put through the lips so we can turn the face around to be happy or sad. Then we sang "If you Chance to Meet a Frown".
No comments:
Post a Comment