Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Goals Part 3

Now I am far behind on blogging so I hope to be able to check everything up tonight. Beware!

Here we go:

We are still talking about goals but most importantly how they take patience and work. Through my own kids and babysitting, I realized that kids under the age of 6 have no concept of waiting or patience. So, as we were going through our goal pictures to see which goals take time/patience, she said she understood but I know that was just talk.

Then we read a very cute, simple book: "The Carrot Seed" by Ruth Krauss. He plants a carrot seed and takes care of it everyday while his family keeps telling him it won't grow. Until one day, a huge carrot shoots out of the ground just like the little boy knew it would.

After that we talked about some goals being silly, dangerous, or impossible to do like catching a bear. So we did the "Going on a Bear Hunt" song. However, I completely messed up the actions that went with it since I forgot how it went. Hailey still got the idea and thought it was funny.

Then I read "Whistle for Willie" by Ezra Jack Keats and sang a song about learning to whistle. However, I can't whistle. Maybe this would have been a better lesson for Nathan to do.

Finally, we ended with a small puzzle which was supposed to be a big group project. This took a long time to make and of course not all the shapes line up perfectly. I was afraid that it would be too difficult for Hailey, so I color coded the board. When I did this lesson again, I'll make the design on the opposite side without color and have the kids try that first.
Here's Hailey in front of the finished project that we worked on together. She struggled with the yellow pieces but other then that she did very well.

No comments: