Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Order Part 1

This lesson was a little tricky because I don't have "free play time" during Joy School. In a regular Joy School, they were supposed to talk about what order means and that they can have a group goal to keep their school in order. Then Gunny bag is introduced and they kids go play and make a mess during free play time. Once their 30minutes were up, they needed to clean up and put everything back in order or gunny bag would get it.

Well, I already cleaned the front room before school so the lesson plan didn't work for us. So, I first talked about what order means, then we read "The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room". I pointed out what was clean and what was messy or in order and tried to have Hailey see the difference. (We've read this book together several times before but still thought a messy room looked beautiful.) I think by the end of the book, she could tell me correctly what was messy and what was in order and which one was better. Then we learned the "Order! Order!" song and the "Gunny Bag" song.

**Side Note: I remember the Gunny Bag song from growing up so I was excited to share it with Hailey. I especially remember my dad singing it very loudly. However, my gunny bag is a blue pillow case. Growing up it was a trash bag and very imitating. My parents weren't kidding around about throwing our stuff away. Thankfully, I don't remember gunny bag coming out too many times (maybe only once or twice).

The second part of the lesson plan was about goals again. We talked about the different skills they have now from when they were a baby and how learning to walk, talk, eat, etc were actually goals they accomplished. Since we talked about how big she is now, we read "I can do it Myself" by Sesame Street. (I found it at DI for $1).

Then we talked about our rooms and have we can have a goal of keeping them in order. Since we couldn't go into Hailey's room, my room was supposed to be the example of a clean room. My room wasn't very clean (laundry and a messy bed for the most part), so Hailey worked on her goal to learn how to make a bed which helped my room look a little cleaner. Then we went downstairs and filled in her goal chart.

We finished with a flannel board story "Oh, Oh!" by Ruth Eyre. It's about a little boy who wants to put on his winter clothes by himself but keeps doing it in the wrong order. Finally, when he gets everything on, he realizes he needs to go potty and has to take everything off again. Luckily, the next time he puts everything back on, he does it quickly because he does it in order.
Hailey liked playing with him and dressing him up.

No comments: