Saturday, October 10, 2009

Goals Part 1

We are on a new Joy Unit: The Joy of Order and Goal Striving.

This was a quick introductory lesson on what is a goal. First I shared two flannel board stories and tried to explain and point out what they goal was. The first one was about the circus and needed to earn money to go, so Hailey missed the point and just wants to go to the circus too. The second one was about a girl making new friends which Hailey understood better.

Then we talked about different goals kids can have and then made a goal chart of our own. My goal is to finish a puppet and Hailey wants to make her bed.

For the art activity, we decorated our goal chart frames. Hailey did not want to stop decorating. She tried to glue everything I had on the table to her frame. It was getting late and I needed to end Joy school, so I took away the glue and gave her just a handful on items to put on. Then I went to get Robert up from his nap.

Hailey came up stairs saying her butterfly is missing. I thought maybe it just fell on the floor but when I got downstairs again, I was shocked. She grabbed the glue I put away when I left and dumped a huge amount on her paper, which leaked to the table, and spilled on the floor. When I started cleaning it up, I found a butterfly at the bottom of the glue pile. I was disappointed and amused at the same time.

Here's my goal chart.

No comments: