Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Joy of the Body 2

This lesson was about introducing the body again. We talked about how it can move. To feel their muscles working I made elastic bands for them to put on their legs or arms.
Luc really got into it while Hailey stayed hesitant.
Then after our discussion about our bodies, we shaped gingerbread dough into little bodies.
Luc enjoyed the dough a lot. However, it wasn't easy to roll and shape the dough. So, after everyone made one, we did the rest with cookie cutters.
While we waiting for the cookies to bake and cool, we made hand and feet mobiles. Hailey needed me to trace, cut and connect her hands and feet. This project was too advance for her skill level.
I encouraged Luc to do it all by himself. He traced his hands and feet. He cut out one hand and was too frustrated to continue. Once we got to the hole punching stage, he got excited and went a little over board with it.
Finally the cookies are done. I made a powder sugar icing to top it. They were surprisingly soft.
The kids loved the cookies.

*Side note: I had a hard time with the gingerbread dough. The day before, I pulled up the recipe and noticed I was missing a couple of spices. So, we went to Walmart and I finally got to make the dough around 8 or 9 that night. Since it was a brand new bottle of ginger, it went everywhere and I got more ginger in the bowl then was needed. Also I didn't have enough nutmeg. After everything was mixed, Nathan helped me separate the dough into three portions to smash down and wrap. They need to be refrigerated for at least 3 hours.

So, we finally go to bed around 11 and right before I fell asleep, I realized that I forgot to put the egg in. I'm not sure what that would have done to my cookies but I know it's not a good ingredient to forgot. But I'm too tired to do anything about it. Unwrapping the dough and trying to put it back together to add the one egg did not sound like I good idea to me, so I went to sleep.

I woke up around 6:00 thinking about the dough. So I got up then, showered, and went to Walmart because I ran out of nutmeg and shortening. I can back and made another batch of the dough to find out I am 1/4 c short of molasses. I just rolled my eyes and continued. By 7-7:30 everything was done and ready to be refrigerated. I bought donuts so we all sat down and had donuts together.

The end result was that the second batch of cookies turned out great. However, next time I'll pay closer attention to it.

No comments: