Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Emotions, Honesty, and Pumpkins

Today we started Unit 3A: Joy of Realness, Honesty and Candor. This is also the time in the lessons where doing things ahead of schedule is tough. These lessons are supposed to be done around Halloween so there is Halloween activities integrated into them. I'm going to be skipping over unit 4 and put it at the end because it is all about Christmas.

So, this lesson starts with pictures of different facial expressions and scenarios to each one. We talked about what makes us angry, happy, scared, excited, and surprised. Then we sang "I've Got Joy". Hailey loves this song and one day I will record her singing it because it is so cute. Surprisingly this song also helps me relax more after I sing it. I think it has something to do with acting like your happy will eventually make you feel happy.

Then we talked about facial expressions with a pumpkin and learned a little song about how to make a jack-o-lantern. (In this lesson, they have them make real jack-o-lanterns from real pumpkins. I'm not sure if I'm even ready to let Luc do that on his own. When pumpkins do start showing up, we'll just paint them instead.)

After that, I read a story "Isabel's Little Lie." Luc is defiantly old enough to understand what a lie is but Hailey doesn't really get it. In the introduction package it talked about how we aren't teaching the children honesty but trying to preserve what they naturally do. It's from adults that they learn to lie mainly out of fear.

So, to finish off, I let them glue on faces to make paper jack-o-lanterns.
Luc wanted to cut out his all by himself. He did a great job. The best I've seen yet. It had big problems with his mouth but other then that he stayed in the lines.
Hailey did the gluing and pasting all by herself. (When we first started Joy School, Hailey wanted a lot of unnecessary help so I'm glad she's over that.)
Also, this is the best I've seen Hailey do by herself. The eyes, nose, and mouth are facing the correct way and are lined up nicely. This hardly happens. (I helped with the stem and pointed out which one was the nose, but that was it.) I'm very proud of both of them.

No comments: