Hailey will start Kindergarten tomorrow. Even though I plan on dropping her off and picking her up everyday, I thought it would be a fun activity to map out how to get to school. Also, for Robert school, I'm going to focus on transportation this month.
We started by talking a little about what we use to places (walking, riding a car, daddy's scooter) and then how do we know where to go. Every once in a while Hailey would pretend to draw me a map and instruct me on where to go. So this is a great activity for Hailey and might have been a little too advance for Robert.
After our minute discussion, we got our clip boards and drew our starting point. Both Hailey and Robert finished their map before we even left our porch but that's why I have mine. We drew out the houses we saw on the way and named all the streets we crossed. Hailey and Robert are pretty good with knowing which way is left and which way is right. We talked about crossing the street rules and pointed out any street signs we saw (one pedestrian crossing sign and one stop sign). We walked all the way around the school to get to the front doors. Robert asked which street we were on and remembered the names of the streets we crossed.
So here's my finished map.Here's Robert's map.
Here's Hailey's map. The bottom dot is our house and the top dot is our school. When I first thought of this activity, I didn't have a destination in mind and thought it would be fun for the kids to pick out where we go. However, I think having the school as our goal was a better idea.
Then we played on the playground.
No comments:
Post a Comment