Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Kindergarten: week 4

On Thursday, I was able to volunteer in Hailey's class.  I was pretty frustrated at home dealing with Hannah and Robert. It surprised me that just a change in routine turned my day around. I really enjoyed my time at Hailey's school.  I was able to be there from 8:30am-10:30am which is typically their reading center time.

This day was a little crazy because it was picture day for them.  They were finishing up taking pictures when I arrived. The kids who were done, were on the reading rug with books.  Hailey and a friend wanted me to read to them.  For September their value or attribute for the month was acceptance.  I thought that was a great one to start with especially since on that day, they had three children which different handicaps visit.  I'm not sure how often they visit but it's great for them to try to be in a real classroom but also wonderful for the students to be familiar with those who are different.  I also found out that they have a lost teeth chart and Mrs. Thomas likes to keep track of it and will give them a prize when they lose a tooth.

Mrs. Thomas read to the whole class a book about what we do with our hands and with other body parts.  Then the school counselor came in a taught a mini lesson on tattle-telling. I can see how that's an important thing to go over in kindergarten.  I don't run into that too much at home because my kids quickly jump to hitting and I need to be told when that happens.

For the remaining hour, the class broke into 4 groups. One was computers, one was a word/card game, one was Lego's and snacks, and the last one was an art project (mine).  On a yellow piece of paper, I wrote "With my hands, I can..." to go along with the book they heard.  Then the kids drew whatever they wanted to finish the sentence.  We had a couple of ride my bike, draw, and build a house. It was a lot of fun working with them and hearing their answers.

Here are the papers that Hailey brought home this week.
 A worksheet on the letter C.

 The title is can You see me? Hailey got a star for writing it well. I need to work with her on the difference between a lowercase y and an uppercase Y.
 Though you can't see it too well, Hailey traced her hand and numbered each of her fingers.  All her numbers are facing the correct way.

 Hailey also brought home leaf cards that they played a sorting game with.  Also note that she finally wrote her name with a lowercase a.
 Here are more math worksheets. Hailey drew the correct number of objects, then they just doodled on the back.

Here is Hailey's IRI test results. She got a 3 (out of a 3) which just says she's right on track.

No comments: