Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Kindergarten: Week 8

There was Parent-Teacher Conference this week. Mrs. Thomas had only nice things to say about Hailey. Hailey is the most advance Kindergartner in her class as far as reading at least. She's missing a couple of sounds to the different letters of the alphabet. She's only counting to 25ish and Mrs. Thomas wants her to count to 100 by the end of the school year.  She encourages us to help her read and get her as advance as Hailey will let us. The kids get assessed once a month. Here is what they are assessed on:
Count five objects
Count to 10
Identify numerals 1-5
Name a square and circle
Count number of words in a sentence
Holds a book and turns pages properly
Identifies letters in name
Identifies words that rhyme
Writes name

She aced all these and I'm surprised how simple the these tasks are even for someone in Kindergarten. I am pretty sure Robert can do all those things now expect for writing his name. I am glad that I now know what is Kindergarten level material and what they are expected to know. I'm thankful that Mrs. Thomas sees Hailey potential and eagerness to learn and encourages it. It seems like in this school, students (especially the 1st graders) are bounced around into other classrooms to help find activities closer to their level.

We also talked about Madeline. They are in the math group together and they do get in trouble for talking.  Madeline has a very dominating personality and challenges the teacher a lot. It's hard to see Hailey limit herself to one friend and I'm glad I can go to the class and point out that there are other people to play with also.  I hope Hailey can be the good example to Madeline and not pick up on bad habits.

Here's the papers she brought home this week.
 The paper says 5+1+6   5+5=10   5+2=7   5+3=8   5+4=9

No comments: