Monday, November 3, 2008

Color Review: A Garden of Colors

Approaching the concept of colors is a little different from letters. With letters I focused more on objects that start with the letter and less on the shape of the letter. However with colors, I'm focusing on many items that has a certain color. This might make my lessons seem a little more random but I'm still new and experimenting with it. Hailey knows the names of colors and most of the time can answer correctly when asked what color is a specific color. Sometimes, I think she just pulls a color out of her head instead of really looking at what I'm asking and answering correctly.

It's fun to see her learn and grow. At first, everything was blue and just last week, she's really been picking up on the color brown. Red and pink are hard for her (she likes pink better).

So, to start our color unit we looked at a variety of colors. First we read "Elmo's First Book of Colors" by Sesame Street. Hailey did a good job pointing out different objects of a certain color.

After that we read "My Colors, My World" by Maya Christina Gonzalez. I liked the illustrations and it had short sentences. It shows how colors are all around us. Also it repeats everything in Spanish. Nathan read this book to Hailey for her night-time story in both English and Spanish. Then, we colored flowers in our mini-garden book. She went through this quickly even though there were 8 pages to color. I think she doesn't like being restricted to certain colors.

No comments: